Monday, the 1st April, 1974.
The Assembly met at 9 A.M. The day was devoted for transaction of Govt. and Private Member's Business.
Starred questions Nos.3, 4, 5 and 6 were replied to.
Starred questions No.6b which was already replied by the Chief Minister was later on ordered to be deleted by the Speaker from the proceedings of the House.
2. Unstarred questions Nos.42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 and 60 were replied to -
Shri D.D.Lapang, M.L.A. called the attention of the Chief Minister under Rule 54 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business of the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly to a news item published in " U Naphang " a local Khasi Weekly of 11th March, 1974, under the caption " Hato ka long mo kaba shisha "
The Chief Minister made a statement before the House on this.
3. The Hon. Speaker announced the names of Members constituting the following Committees :- House Committee, Rules Committee, Committee on Government Assurance, Committee on Privileges, Committee on Subordinate Legislation, Committee on Petitions and Library Committee.
4. The Hon. Speaker read out before the House the letter from the Governor Shri L.P. Singh, which he replied to the letter of the Hon. Speaker in which the Hon. Speaker conveyed to him the Motion of Thanks adopted by the House to his address made before the House the 20th March, 1974.
5. The Hon. Chief Minister moved the following motion :-
" That this House ratifies the amendments to the Constitution of India falling within the purview of the Proviso to Clause (2) of Article 363 thereof, proposed to be made by the Constitution (Thirty Second Amendment ) Bill, 1973 as passed by the two House of Parliament"
The motion moved was unanimously passed by the House.
6. The Hon. Chief Minister moved the resolution for approval of expenditure of Rs. 24,300 under the head " 50-Public Works ( Excluding Establishment, Tools and Plant )"
Minister of State Shri D.D. Pugh, stated before the House the reasons necessitating the passing of the Resolution.
Prof. M.N. Majaw sought some clarifications which were accordingly replied and clarified by the Minister of State incharge of P.W.D. The Resolution was accordingly passed and approved by the House.
7. Shri Singjan Sangma. Chairman of the Privileges Committee moved that the Assembly agreed to the extension of time for submission of Report of the Committee of Privileges till the 30th June, 1974 on the Privilege matter moved by Prof. M.N. Majaw, M.L.A. against the Editor, Publisher and Printer of a local English Weekly " The Implanter " for publishing a news item under the caption " Will Misa be involved in Meghalaya " Extension of time was accordingly granted.
8. Shri Singjan Sangma, Chairman of Privileges Committee move that the Assembly agrees to the extension of time for submission of Report of the Committee of Privileges till the 30th June, 1974 on the Privilege matter moved by Shri H. Hadem, M.L.A. against the Editor, Public and Printer of a local weekly " The Implanter " for publishing a new item under the caption " In Jaintia Hills Politicians prepare for Elections " Extension of time was accordingly granted.
9. Shri Singjam Sangma. Chairman of Privileges Committee moved that the Assembly agrees to the extension of time till the 30th June 1974 relating to the complaint of breach of privilege and contempt of the House moved on 8th December, 1973 by Shri H. Hadem, M.L.A., again Shri U. Kharbuli, M.L.A., and Shri E.K. Mawlong, M.D.C., Extension of time was accordingly granted.
10. Shri Singjam Sangma, Chairman of Privileges Committee moved the Assembly agrees to the extension of time for submission of Report of the Committee till the 30th June, 1974 relating to the breach of privileges moved on the 8th December, 1973 by Shri Hoover Hynniewta against Prof. G.G. Swell, M.P.., Deputy Speaker, Lok Sabha. Extension of time was accordingly granted.
11. The Hon. Speaker gave his ruling on the privilege motion brought on 10th December, 1973 by the Hon. Member Shri H. Hadem, M.LA. against Shri Blingstar, M.D.C., E.K. Mawlong, M.D.C., G.G. Swell, M.P., and Shri U. Kharbuli, M.L.A. The ruling of the Speaker was that there was no primacy case against the above persons as stated in the complaint.
12. Prof. M.N. Majaw moved the following motion under Rules 13(5) and 55 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly " This House does now consider the Ninth Annual Report 9 1972-73 ) of the Assam and Meghalaya Mineral Development Corporation Limited, Shillong " and initiated discussion. The following members took part in the discussion. These are :- Sarvashri F.K. Mawlot, H.S. Lyngdoh, P.R. Kyndiah and H.E. Poshna.
The Hon. Minister incharge of Mines and Minerals, Shri S.D.D.Nichols Roy, gave his reply on the various points raised by the hon. Members.
13. Shri S.D.D. Nichols Roy, Minister, Power laid before the House the statement of Accounts ( 1972-73 ) of the Assam State Electricity Board.
1. Prof. M.N. Majaw moved the resolution No.2 " that this House recommends to the Government of Meghalaya to use only the names of Umiam, Um-sning and Mawlein for all official purpose, in place of Barapani, Nayabungalow and Lalcharai respectively" and initiate discussion on the resolution. Shri F.K. Mawlot and Shri H.E. Poshna participated in the discussion. The Hon. Chief Minister replied to the various points raised by the hon. Members. prof. M.N. Majaw on the basis of the statement of the Chief Minister then withdrew his resolution.
2. Prof. M.N. Majaw moved Motion No.3- " This House recommended to the Govt. of Meghalaya to consider steps to reduce the incidence of State Taxes in view of the alarming rise of prices in Meghalaya, higher than the general price level in the rest of the country ". Shri S.D.D. Nichols Roy, Minister incharge replied to the points raised by the move.
The hon. mover of the resolution was not satisfied with the replies given by the Minister and insisted on his resolution. The resolution was then put to vote and lost by voice vote.
Shri F.K. Mawlot moved his resolution No.4 " This Assembly recommends to the Government of Meghalaya to absorb all the Muster Rolls Employees now working under the Public Works Department as regular employees "
Shri D.D. Pugh, Minister of State incharge P.W.D. replied to the various points raised by the hon. Mover. Shri F.K. Mawlot accordingly withdrew his resolution.
Prof. M.N. Majaw moved Motion No.2 " This House does now discuss the desirability of having non-official Chairmen for Govt. Boards, Corporations and Committees " and initiate discussion on this.
Shri F.K.Mawlot and Shri H. Nongrum participated in the discussion. hon. Chief Minister gave his reply to the various points raised by the hon. Members above.
Shri F.K. Mawlot moved his motion No.3 " that the Assembly does now discuss the feasibility of having the headquarters of the Meghalaya Board of School Education at Tura ' and initiated discussion on this. Sarvashri Plansing Marak; R. Lyngdoh; S. Koch; W. Syiemiong and Miss Percylina Marak also participated in the discussion.
Shri D.D. Pugh Minister incharge replied to the points raised in the above motion.
Shri F.K. Mawlot moved Motion No.4 - " that this House does now discuss the need for immediate appointment of more Sub-Deputy Collectors in the State for quick and efficient disposal of pending land compensation cases ". Prof. M.N. Majaw and Shri S.P. Swer took part in the discussion and since there was no more time for further discussion on this Motion, the Hon. Speaker ruled that the above motion be taken up again in the next Session and that Shri H.S. Lyngdoh will be allowed to speak first on this motion.
The Hon. Speaker then read out the prorogation order of the Governor of Meghalaya. The House was then prorogued at 1 p.m. the 1st April, 1974.
|( E.L. Lyttan )|
|Meghalaya Legislative Assembly.|