Wednesday, the 20th March, 1974.
The Meghalaya Legislative Assembly for the first time held its session today, Wednesday the 20th March, 1974 in the Assembly Chamber which had been from the beginning the Chamber of the Assam Legislative Assembly.
The Assembly met at 9 A.M.
1 The business of the day began with the Address by the Governor as per provision of Article 176 (1) of the Constitution of India. After the Address of the Governor the hon. Members Shri D.D. Lapang moved a motion of Thanks to the Governor's Address which was also second by the hon. Member, Shri Plansing Marak, M.L.A.
2. The Hon' ble Speaker announced the names of the Members nominated to the Panel of Chairman for the current March Session of the Assembly, viz :-
1. Shri H. Hadem, M.L.A.
2. Shri S.D. Khongwir, M.L.A.
3. Shri P.N. Choudhury, M.L.A.
4. Shri P.G. Momin, M.L.A.
3. The Hon' ble Speaker announced the Report of the Business Advisory Committee.
4. Shri B.B. Lyngdoh, Minister, Finance laid before the House the following Rules :-
|1.||The Meghalaya Speaker's ( Allowances and Privileges) Rules, 1973.|
|2.||The Meghalaya Speaker's ( Allowances and Privileges ) ( Amendment ) Rules, 1974.|
|3.||. The Meghalaya Deputy Speaker's ( Allowances and Privileges ) (Amendment) Rules, 1973.|
|4.||The Meghalaya Deputy Speaker's ( Allowances and Privileges ) (Amendment ) Rules, 1974.|
|5.||The Meghalaya Ministers' ( Allowances & Privileges ) Rules, 1973.|
|6.||The Meghalaya Ministers' ( Allowances & Privileges ) ( Amendment ) Rules, 1974.|
|7.||The Meghalaya Ministers' of State ( Allowances and Privileges ) Rules, 1974.|
|8.||The Meghalaya Ministers' of State ( Allowances and Privileges ) (Amendment) Rules, 1974.|
|9.||The Meghalaya Contingency Fund Rules, 1973.|
5. Capt. W.A.Sangma, Chief Minister laid before the House the Constitution (Thirty-Second Amendment ) Bill, 1973 which was passed by the two Houses of Parliament.
6. Shri S.D.D.Nichols-Roy, Minister, Industries laid before the House the second Annual Report ( 1972-73 ) of the Meghalaya Industrial Development Corporation Ltd.
7. Shri S.D. Nichols-Roy, Minister, Power, etc., laid before the House the Ninth Annual Report ( 1972-73 ) of the Assam and Meghalaya Mineral Development Corporation Ltd.
The Hon' ble Chief Minister made a glowing tribute to the late Dr. H.C. Bhuyan, late T.T. Krishnamachari and late prof. Satyan Boss who were among the outstanding personalities of our country. The Hon' ble Chief Minister made a reference to the achievements and service rendered by these personalities to the nation. He expressed his sorrow and said that with their death the country had lost some of its ablest sons. Shri Maham Singh, MLA., Leader of the Opposition, and also Shri H.S. Lyngdoh M.L.A. associated themselves in paying tribute to these great personalities and joined with the Chief Minister in expressing condolence of the House at their said demise. The Hon' ble Speaker also took the privilege of expressing his personal loss and so the death of these great sons of our country and paid high tributes to the wisdom, knowledge and services which they had rendered to the nation in their respective spheres and activities of life. A two minute silence was observed by the House in hour of the memory of these departed souls.
The House was then adjourned till 9 p.m. on Friday, the 22nd March, 1974.
|SHILLONG||Sd/- R.T. Rymbai|
|The 21st March, 1974||Secretary,|
|Meghalaya Legislative Assembly.|
Memo.No.622-772(A), Dated Shillong, the 21st March, 1974.
Copy forwarded to :-
1. All Members of the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly Shillong.
2. All Departments of the Govt. ( Both Civil & PWD Shillong ).
|( E.L. Lyttan ).|
|Meghalaya Legislative Assembly.|