The Assembly met at 10 a.m. with the Speaker in the Chair.
The day was devoted for the transaction of Governments Business.
The Speaker accompanied by the Deputy Speaker and the Chief Minister left the Chamber to receive the Governor.
The Governor was ushered into the House with usual ceremony.
The Governor delivered his address to the House under Article 176(1) of the Constitution of India at 10.10 a.m. and concluded at 10.40 a.m.
Shri D.N. Joshi moved the following motion of thanks to the Governor's Address which was seconded by Shri S.L .Marbaniang.
" That the Members of the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly assembled in this Session are deeply grateful to the Governor for the Address which he has been pleased to deliver to this House today, the 10th March, 1995."
( The House was adjourned till 12 noon.)
( After Break )
The House re-assembled at 12 noon with the Hon'ble Speaker in the Chair.
Under Rule 230 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business, the Speaker announced the Report of the Business Advisory Committee.
Shri J.D. Pohrmen, Minister incharge Parliamentary Affairs moved :-
" That this House agrees with the allocation of time proposed by the Business Advisory Committee in regard to the various item of Business for the current Session."
( The motion was adopted and the Calendar as amended was approved ).
The Speaker nominated the following Members to the panel of Chairmen for the current Session :-
1. Shri D.N. Joshi, M.L.A.
2. Shri G.S. Massar, M.L.A.
3. Shri Tonsing N. Marak, M.L.A. and
4. Shri Mihsalan Suchiang.
Shri J.D. Pohrmen, Minister incharge Law laid the Meghalaya Preventive Detention Ordinance, 1994 ( Ordinance No.1 of 1994 ).
Shri Rowell Lyngdoh, Minister, District Council Affairs to lay Government Notifications No.DCA.48/90/Pt-1/223, dt. 12th January, 1995, No.DCA.48/90/Pt-1/224, dt. 12th January, 1995 and No.DCA.48/90/Pt-1/225, dt. 12th January, 1995 relating to the extension of the period of assumption of the administration of Primary Schools, including Primary Education in the Khasi Hills, Garo Hills and Jaintia Hills Autonomous Districts, respectively, by the Governor with reason thereof.
Shri Sujit Sangma, Minister incharge Power laid the Annual Financial Statements of the Meghalaya State Electricity Board for the years 1993-94 and 1994-95.
The House mourned the demise of the following public figures :-
1. Shri S.D.D. Nichols Roy, Former Member of the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly.
2. Shri K.R. Bhowmick, Former Member of the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly.
3. Shri Bull N. Lyngdoh, Former Member of the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly.
4. Shri Medison A. Sangma, Former Member, Meghalaya Legislative Assembly.
5. Shri Giani Zail Singh, Former President of India.
6. Shri Madhu Limaye, Former Union Minister.
7. Sardar Swaran Singh, Former Union Minister.
8. Shri Om Mehta, Former Union Minister.
9. Shri Matish, Ch. Roy, Former P.W.D. Minister of West Bengal.
10. Shri Moirangthem Koireng Singh, Former Chief Minister of Manipur.
11. Shri Siamliana, Former Minister of Mizoram.
( The House observed two minutes silence as a mark of respect to the deceased ).
The House rose at 1.40. p.m. and stood adjourned till 10 a.m. on Monday, the 13the March, 1995.
Meghalaya Legislative Assembly.