The House met at 10 a.m. with the Hon'ble Speaker in the Chair. The day was devoted for the transaction of Government business.
Shri B.B. Lyngdoh, Chief Minister, presented the Supplementary Demands for Grants for 1997-98.
Shri M. Suchiang, initiated the debate on the Governor's Address. He commended the various policies and programmes of the Government and urged for their effective implementation. He also dwelt on the urgent necessity to solve rural employment and to take up with the Central Government for the amendment of provision in the Forest Preservation Act, 1980 so that it suits the condition prevailing in the State of Meghalaya. He called for effective steps to combat Malaria and other diseases and emphasized on the speedy implementation of Water Supply Schemes in the rural areas with particular reference to his constituency.
Shri K.C. Boro, moved the following amendment to the Motion of Thanks on the Governor's Address :-
"Substitute the full stop (.) at the end of the Motion of thanks by adding the following thereafter.
...........'but regrets that the Governor has failed to mention in his Address the following:
1. The failure of the Government to make a mention of such Scheme as the Special Rural Works Programme, Construction of Rural Road Programme and Intensive Area Development Programme.
2. The abnormal rise in the prices of all essential and non-essential commodities and the measure adopted, or proposed to be adopted to check such trends.
3. The failure to make a mention of the proposed Railway heads in the State.
4. The absence of any mention about the Village Reserve Forest Scheme.
5. The failure to mention the steps taken or, proposed to be taken by the Government to combat the menace of recurring flood in the vulnerable areas particular in Garo Hills.
6. The failure to mention the steps to be taken or, proposed to be taken by the Government Vis-à-Vis the Wild Life Protection.
7. The failure to mention the measures connected with Relief & Rehabilitation, and;
8. The absence of a mention about the proposed expansion of the MBOSE Cell and setting up of the MBOSE Office in Shillong."
The Mover of the amendment to the motion of Thanks discussed at length on the Subjects referred to in the amendments and requested the Government to accord priority in implementing the Schemes/Projects mentioned thereon.
Other participants included Shri Robert G. Lyngdoh (2) Shri Tonsingh N. Marak and Shri K.C. Momin. All the Speakers broadly dealt with the matters reflected in the amendment and put forth their individual submission for consideration of the Government.
As there was no more members willing to participate, the House rose at 12.55 p.m. and stood adjourned till 10.a.m. on Wednesday, the 25th March, 1998.
Meghalaya Legislative Assembly